Monday, April 12, 2010

Chicken Baked with Tomatoes and Sweet Potatoes

I'm officially a week behind again! It's crazy how busy life can get! I'm back to writing though so expect a couple of posts from me over the next day or two!

Let's go back to last Monday...

After work I decided to make what used to be a weekly staple in my house, Chicken Baked with Tomatoes and Sweet Potatoes. This recipe is part of the reason why I started my recipe project. It was just as delicious as Matt and I remembered it to be. Last Monday I learned it doesn't matter how many times you make the same recipe you can still forget steps in the instructions. The recipe calls for the feta cheese to be added for the last 3-4 minutes. I, however, was distracted by the "ease" of the recipe and put the feta in from the very beginning. Even with my hiccup it still tasted great. The cheese finally melted how I always wanted it to!

To accompany dinner I toasted a slice of whole wheat bread, rubbed it with a clove of garlic, buttered it with my yogurt spread and then sprinkled Jane's Crazy Mixed Up Salt over the top. Easy, tasty garlic bread!

Matt and I both love this recipe so it's a keeper. It's our version of comfort food.


Chicken Baked with Tomatoes and Sweet Potatoes

Ingredients

1 T lemon juice
1 t oregano
1/2 t pepper
1/4 t salt
1.25 lbs unpeeled sweet potatoes, cut into 3/4" chunks
1 lb plum tomatoes, cut into 1/2" chunks
8 skinless bone in chicken thighs (total 1.5 lbs) *I always use chunks of chicken breasts*
2 oz. crumbled feta
nonstick cooking spray
2 T water

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray 9 x 13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. In a small bowl mix lemon juice, salt, pepper, oregano, and 2 T water. Arrange sweet potatoes and tomatoes in baking dish. Drizzle with half of the lemon mixture. Place chicken on top of veggies and drizzle with the remaining lemon mixture. Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes. Occasionally spoon juices over the chicken and vegetables. Uncover and bake for 15-20 minutes. Crumble feta over the top and bake for 3-4 minutes longer to melt the cheese.

*When I use chicken breast chunks I cook the chicken covered for 30 minutes, then sprinkle the cheese, uncover, and cook for 10 minutes.*

No comments:

Post a Comment