Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Slow Cooker Chicken Paprikash

Monday was Marathon Monday/Patriot's Day so we had the day off! I slept in a little then when I got up I made dinner before breakfast. The recipe for the day was a slow cooker recipe and I figured it was a great day to try it! Slow Cooker Chicken Paprikash courtesy of Cooking Light, March 2006. By the end of the day the meal looked and smelled a little burnt so I wasn't really looking forward to trying it. It ended up tasting much better than I thought it would, definitely not burnt! The recipe is definitely a fall or a winter recipe not really a good spring meal. A hearty, slow cook stew like meal served over egg noodles. I should have known better but I couldn't resist trying it!


Lauren's review: It was okay but not nearly as flavorful as I would have liked. Even with more salt and pepper it was still lacking something.
Matt's review: It was good.
Final decision: I initially thought that I would keep it and tweak it the next time I made it (in the winter or the fall!) but after having leftovers for lunch on Tuesday I decided it's not worthy. I'm sure I can find a better option.

Slow Cooker Chicken Paprikash

Ingredients

3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into 1/2-inch strips
2 cups chopped onion (about 1 large)
1 1/4 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
1 cup chopped red bell pepper
1/2 cup shredded carrot
2 tablespoons Hungarian sweet paprika
2 teaspoons bottled minced garlic
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 (8-ounce) package presliced mushrooms
1 1/4 cups reduced-fat sour cream

Combine flour and chicken in a medium bowl; toss well. Add chicken mixture, chopped onion, and the next 8 ingredients (through mushrooms) to an electric slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.

Stir in sour cream.


Serves 6

No comments:

Post a Comment