Monday, January 18, 2010

Aruba Recap

Last week we were in Aruba for 7 days with my family (mom, dad and both sisters). The trip was incredible and just what we needed to start 2010!

Matt and I met my family at Logan airport early Saturday morning. With all the increased security measures we had given ourselves extra time to get through security. It wasn't needed. Check-in and security was a breeze. Once we met up with my family we had breakfast, coffee from Dunkin Donuts and oatmeal from Starbucks. A great way to start the trip. Flight down was great minus the windy landing. Damn Aruban trade winds! By the way, we LOVE Jet Blue! Extra leg room, free movies on international flights, free baggage check (1 bag/person), great staff and free snacks! What more could you ask for!?

After taking a cab from the airport to our hotel, Tamarijn, we got to check in to our rooms. For some reason we didn't take a picture of our room but it was just like the below picture (courtesy of the Tamarijn's website) except our room was on the second floor with a balcony. The rooms were little but the view and balcony made the size perfect!


The rest of the vacation is sort of a haze of fun-filled days. Matt and I exercised every day. Either at the gym that had an amazing view of the ocean or swimming, scuba diving or snorkeling. In addition to those daily activities Matt and I played tennis every day, sometimes doubles with my sisters.

Again, not a picture we took of the gym but it was such a great view I had to share!


This picture Matt took from the gym with his iPhone.


This trip allowed me to do something that I haven't done in 9 years... SCUBA! My mom and I got certified at the end of 2000 right before we went on a family trip to St. Lucia... my freshman year of college... St. Lucia... last dive trip! Wow! It's so beautiful down there! If you ever get the chance you have to do it! My dad set up our trips through JADS Dive Center. I highly recommend this shop if you ever go to Aruba and want to dive. The instructors are so nice and fun! No pictures of myself in gear but I got one of my mom getting "helped" into the water by my sister and an instructor.

The food was surprisingly fantastic on the resort. There was an Asian fusion restaurant, Ginger, that had a lot of Thai and Japanese inspired dishes. Along with an authentic Italian cuisine (not American Italian) restaurant, Paparazzi and an upscale Caribbean restaurant, Red Parrot. We went off the resort one night to a restaurant called Queens in downtown Oranjestad near the cruise ship terminal. It was right next to Senor Frogs. Apparently, they don't have a website. If I can find any information on the restaurant I'll post it. We all thought the traditional Aruban food was amazing, the restaurant was so clean and everyone was so nice.

The rest of the trip is a blur of happiness. Matt and I went shopping downtown and ended up bringing home a new watch for Matt and additions to my Pandora bracelet, 1 Murano glass bead and two clips. I also got a David Yurman ring that matches a bracelet that Matt got me last year for Christmas. So beautiful!!!

Below are a couple of photos from our vacation. If you have any questions about Aruba or the resort we stayed at let me know. I will tell you everything I can! We hope to go back someday very soon!!! It was the most relaxing, enjoyable vacation that we have had in a long time!


















Well, it's back to the real world. Tonight was the first dinner I made at home in over a week. Details and recipe to follow tomorrow...

Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment