Saturday, January 23, 2010

Garlic Shrimp and Lemon Pasta

Friday was my favorite food day of the week. Breakfast at work was a container of plain greek yogurt with my Kashi cereal crumbled over the top and then topped with a little honey, a satsuma orange (which reminds me of a clementine) and a big cup of Earl Grey. For lunch two of my co-workers and I went to Darwin's Ltd. I got their Magnolia sandwich on whole wheat bread. The sandwich is full of good stuff! Hummus, avocado, apple, carrots, tomato, sprouts, honey mustard and cheddar cheese.


I got a big bottle of my favorite sparkling water and ate half a bag of chips.


After work I had two friends over for a girl's night. On the menu for the evening garlic shrimp and lemon pasta with broccoli.


For dessert I made No Pudge brownies swirled with a mixture of Teddie's all natural peanut butter and a little agave syrup.


We had a couple of beers and a glass (or two) of red wine.


It was a fun night full of good food, drinks and lots of laughter!

Both recipes from tonight are going into the recipe box! We all thought they were delicious! The shrimp had a great coating of garlic and a nice little kick from the red pepper flakes. The pasta was light, lemony and so delicious! I hope you enjoy these recipes!

Lemon Pasta courtesy of Food Network (original recipe has a recipe for roasted shrimp that I did not make for this dinner)

Ingredients:
kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 pound of angel hair pasta (I used whole wheat spaghetti)
4 T. unsalted butter, melted
2 lemons, zested and juiced

Drizzle some olive oil in a large pot of boiling salted water, add the angel hair and cook al dente. Drain the pasta, reserving some of the cooking liquid. Quickly toss the angel hair with the melted butter, 1/4 c. olive oil, the lemon zest, 2 t. salt, 1 t. pepper and about 1/2 c. of the reserved cooking liquid.

Serves 6

Garlic Shrimp courtesy of Martha Stewart Living, April 2007

Ingredients:
1 T. extra-virgin olive oil
2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1/4 t. red pepper flakes
1 lb large shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails left intact
1 T. unsalted butter
coarse salt and freshly ground pepper

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and red-pepper flakes; cook, stirring, until garlic is fragrant and golden (but not brown), about 30 seconds. Add shrimp; raise heat to medium-high heat, and cook, stirring often, until shrimp are opaque, 1 to 2 minutes. Add butter, and stir to coat. Season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.

Serves 4

No comments:

Post a Comment