Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Cinco de Mayo: Chicken with Spicy Tomato Sauce

In the festive spirit on Wednesday I wanted to make something that reminded me of Mexico but wasn't your typical tacos or burritos. After searching my many recipe boxes online and at home I found an easy Mexican dinner, Chicken with Spicy Tomato Sauce found on Epicurious originally from Bon Appetit, December 1999. The recipe calls for 3 large cloves (for 6 servings) to be added to the blender along with the other sauce ingredients. Unfortunately I forgot the garlic so while the sauce was thickening I quickly tossed a heaping teaspoon of jarred minced garlic into the sauce and crossed my fingers. I also added some chopped zucchini to the sauce for the last three minutes for a serving of veggies then served it all over brown rice. I really enjoyed this dinner! The sauce was fantastic! It was sort of like a fine wine, you tasted different flavors at different intervals like an explosion in your mouth. You picked up on the citrus through a little zing in the sauce which was also attributed to the chili powder. Thinking about it now is making my mouth water.

Lauren's review: Another easy and delicious meal!
Matt's review: This is great!
Final decision: Into the recipe box!


Chicken with Spicy Tomato Sauce

Ingredients

1 14 1/2-ounce can Mexican-style or regular stewed tomatoes
1/2 cup orange juice
1/2 cup canned low-salt chicken broth
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
3 large garlic cloves, chopped
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
3 tablespoons olive oil
6 skinless boneless chicken breast halves

No comments:

Post a Comment