Tuesday, May 18, 2010

A Week in Review

Between taking Monday off to finish our home renovation project and all of the plans that we had for the rest of the week, last week flew by! I didn't even cook once! Crazy! This will just be a quick recap of our week.

Tuesday night we got together with our friend, Ian, who was leaving for Tanzania to train the locals how to test for and teach prevention tips for AIDS. I admire him! We hadn't seen Ian since February when we had him over for one of my first meal posts. So Tuesday was a great, late night of catching up over some home-cooked food. Ian made us a fantastic salad to start with spinach, candied pecans, dried cherries, pear, grated parmesan cheese and a balsamic dressing.


Then he made a home made pizza with soy and almond milk cheese, fresh tomatoes, basil, orange peppers, and marinara. It was the first time we had ever had non-dairy cheese and we both thought it was a great substitute! We didn't even notice a taste difference. Ian had to point it out halfway through our first slice. Yum! It was a week for firsts, first time to have almond butter and first time to have non-dairy cheese. So adventurous!


For dessert Ian had made chocolate, white chocolate chip cookies and plated it with some beautiful Dean & Deluca sugar cookies that he had received for his recent birthday.


I had also brought the ingredients to assemble a mock strawberry shortcake: macerated strawberries, pound cake, and vanilla ice cream.


It was a nice, long, indulgent dinner accompanied by great wine and fantastic conversation! We decided we need to get together more often than our current every three month rotation.

Wednesday after work neither of us were very hungry so we decided to just have a salad for dinner. Matt insisted that I recreate Ian's salad because he loved it so much! I had almost all of the ingredients except for the parmesan cheese and candied pecans. My replacements were regular pecans and blue cheese. I also made my own dressing with garlic, honey, dijon mustard, balsamic vinegar, and extra-virgin olive oil. It was just what we needed!


Thursday night Matt had a guy's night out so I was on my own. We have some Boca burgers in our freezer so I decided I should just make myself a quick and easy dinner. I heated up the veggie burger, put it on a toasted deli thin with a thin layer of Trader Joe's Edamame Hummus (which is another first and amazing!) and a couple dashes of hot sauce. It was a very satisfying dinner. However, I realized later that night that I should have made myself one of my fish recipes instead of a frozen veggie burger. Oh well, maybe next time.

Friday after work Matt and I headed up to New Hampshire for my mom's graduation celebration weekend but more on that later...

No comments:

Post a Comment