Monday, February 8, 2010

Chocolate Mint Pudding

Super Bowl Sunday Dessert! Photo courtesy of Cooking Light.


Lauren's review: I couldn't believe that I made homemade pudding! Delicious! I think next time I will use a little less mint.
Matt's review: *speaking like Forest Gump* I liked it a lot!
Final decision: The fourth keeper of the evening. A success!

Chocolate Mint Pudding courtesy of Cooking Light, May 2007

Ingredients

3 c fat-free milk
1/2 c packed fresh mint leaves (about 1/2 ounce)
2/3 c sugar
1/4 c cornstarch
3 T unsweetened cocoa
1/8 t salt
3 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
1/2 t vanilla extract
2 oz semisweet chocolate, chopped *I used milk chocolate morsels which was delicious*
Mint springs (optional)

Heat milk over medium-high heat in a small, heavy saucepan to 180 degrees or until tiny bubbles form around edge (do not boil). Remove from heat; add mint. Let stand 15 minutes; strain milk mixture through a sieve into a bowl, reserving milk. Discard solids. Return milk to pan; stir in sugar, cornstarch, cocoa, and salt. Return pan to medium heat; bring to a boil, stirring constantly with a whisk until mixture thickens.
Place egg yolks in a medium bowl; gradually add half of hot milk mixture, stirring constantly with a whisk. Add egg mixture to pan; bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook 1 minute or until thick. Remove from heat; add vanilla and chocolate, stirring until chocolate melts. Pour pudding into a bowl; cover surface with plastic wrap. Chill. Garnish with mint sprigs, if desired.

Serves 6

*I noticed that 180 was too high for my pan. It ended up scorching the milk. I wonder if whisking while warming would have prevented this?! I served my pudding with a scoop of cool whip lite and skipped the mint sprigs.*

No comments:

Post a Comment