Saturday, March 6, 2010

Chicken Breasts with Gorgonzola-Tomato Salsa

My company has a nice little program that new hires get assigned to someone in the company to show them the ropes of our company and answer any questions they may have as a new employee. They let us take them out to a lunch on the company. It's a nice program! I finally got a chance to meet my recent "new hire" after trying to get together for the last three or four weeks on Thursday. We ordered Thai in from Pepper Sky because it was gross and snowing outside. My lunch was perfect for the weather. I got the Tom Yum shrimp soup, it reminded me of a sweet and sour soup. Then I got the cashew chicken which had a kick to it! Perfect to warm me up on a cold, snowy, gross day. It was the perfect lunch break in the midst of a crazy day!


That night Matt and I got home from work pretty late. I get a little frustrated when I get home so late because of the unknown preparation time it takes to make dinner, especially now that all of our meals are new to us. Luckily for me, Thursday's dinner was very quick to make and it was delicious!

I made Chicken Breasts with Gorgonzola-Tomato Salsa courtesy of Cooking Light, September 2007. Dinner reminded me of my favorite salad of tomato, mozzarella and basil on top of chicken. The onion and the blue cheese just added an amazing kick to it! I served it on a bed of whole wheat penne.



Matt's review: Yum! This was good!
Lauren's review: This is definitely a keeper!
Final decision: Going into the recipe box!

After dinner a couple of our friend's called to say that they were next door at Mooo.... having a drink so we decided to join them. I had my new favorite drink, Aloe Rangpur, again. After our one drink we ran back home to finish up the laundry for my trip to Salt Lake City.

It was a great night that started later than I like but ended up being delicious and fun!

Chicken Breasts with Gorgonzola-Tomato Salsa

Ingredients

2 cups chopped tomato
1/3 cup minced red onion
1/3 cup finely chopped fresh basil
2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
6 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Cooking spray
3 tablespoons crumbled Gorgonzola cheese

Combine tomato, onion, basil, oil, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a medium bowl. Let stand at room temperature.

Place each chicken breast half between 2 sheets of heavy-duty plastic wrap; pound each piece to 1-inch thickness using a meat mallet or small heavy skillet. Sprinkle both sides of chicken with remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper.

Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add 3 chicken breast halves to pan; cook 4 minutes on each side or until chicken is browned and done. Remove from pan; keep warm. Repeat procedure with remaining 3 chicken breast halves.

Stir cheese into tomato mixture. Place 1 chicken breast half on each of 6 plates; top each serving with about 1/3 cup salsa.

No comments:

Post a Comment