Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Gemelli with Tomatoes, Olives, and Ricotta

I don't remember much about last Tuesday other than it was a crazy day at work (what else is new?!) and I needed a quick, delicious dinner to make my day better. I ended up picking Gemelli with Tomatoes, Olives and Ricotta from Martha Stewart Living, September 2007. It was just what I needed after a long day of work! Quick, easy and fantastic!!! I just wish there had been more! This recipe would be great with grilled chicken breast, sans seasoning, on top as an entree or as a starter pasta salad. However, we just had it as a pasta dish for dinner which left both Matt and me very hungry and craving more Gemelli with Tomatoes, Olives, and Ricotta. I think I ended up just making a protein shake for dessert to try to fill us up.

Lauren's review: One of my favorites! When the recipe says "season with salt and pepper" you can skip the salt. Between the salt-packed capers, olives, and the sun-dried tomatoes it is plenty salty.
Matt's review: This is so good! Is there any more left. I want seconds! (oops!)
Final decision. Definitely a keeper!


Gemelli with Tomatoes, Olives, and Ricotta

Ingredients

Coarse salt
8 ounces gemelli (or fusilli or penne) *I used fusilli*
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
10 sun-dried tomatoes in oil, drained
1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
2 teaspoons salt-packed capers, rinsed
2 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
Freshly ground pepper, to taste
1/2 cup grape tomatoes, quartered
1/3 cup Kalamata olives, pitted and halved
1/3 cup fresh basil, torn
Fresh ricotta cheese, for serving

Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add pasta, and cook until al dente. Drain. Drizzle with just enough oil to coat. Spread on a baking sheet, and refrigerate 10 minutes.

Pulse sun-dried tomatoes, vinegar, capers, and garlic in a food processor. With machine running, add oil in a slow, steady stream, and process until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.

Toss together pasta, sun-dried-tomato vinaigrette, grape tomatoes, olives, basil, and salt. Transfer to serving plates. Top with a scoop of ricotta, drizzle with oil, and sprinkle with pepper.

Serves 6 *I think it serves 6 starter serving sizes but it's the first meal I wanted seconds and couldn't have any*

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment