Sunday, March 7, 2010

Rigatoni with Tomato, Basil, and Mushroom Sauce

Meatless Friday. My sister and her friend are coming over for dinner. What to make?! Rigatoni with Tomato, Basil, and Mushroom Sauce courtesy of Epicurious and a side salad. The perfect combination of veggies, protein and filler.

Well now that I had dinner figured out.... after work my sister picked me up and we went on a little shopping spree. First Anthropologie where I bought this shirt for a nice dinner out in Salt Lake City.


Then we stopped at Filene's Basement and Marshalls where we left empty handed. It's okay because we had to rush over to Whole Foods and get my ingredients for dinner. After all of our shopping we finally got home around 7PM. Oops! It was going to be a late dinner!

Dinner was delicious it just took forever to make for some reason. Or maybe it just felt that way because it was late and I only had 6 ounces of veggie juice and a cheese stick for lunch?! Finally, dinner was served!




Dinner ended up being delicious and nutritious just like I wanted! Everyone decided that it was a keeper! Back into the recipe box with this pasta dish!

At this point it's 9PM and I've had a glass or two of red wine. Two more of our friends stop by for dessert and drinks at Mooo... I had a some sort of gin and Pimms drink but couldn't finish it because it was too potent and I still had to pack! I did help myself to their amazing sundae for two that the six of us split. YUM!

I finally got home at almost midnight which left me with enough time to pack and get two hours of sleep before my early flight to Salt Lake City. What was I thinking?!

Enjoy the recipe!

Rigatoni with Tomato, Basil, and Mushroom Sauce

Ingredients

4 tablespoons olive oil
1 large shallot, minced (about 1/4 cup), plus 1 shallot, sliced
3 garlic cloves, minced
4 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stemmed, caps thinly sliced
4 ounces oyster mushrooms, thinly sliced
4 baby portobello mushrooms (about 4 ounces), stemmed, gills scraped, thinly sliced
4 ounces button mushrooms, thinly sliced
3/4 cup chopped onion
1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes in juice
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
12 ounces rigatoni
3/4 cup vegetable stock or canned vegetable broth
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup drained oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, thinly sliced
Additional grated Parmesan cheese

No comments:

Post a Comment