Wednesday, November 11, 2009

New York! New York!


Wow-o-wow! The days have flown by! I'm finally getting a chance to sit down and post about my wonderful weekend in New York!

Friday we left during Boston Rush Hour! After forging our way through traffic we finally arrived in NYC at 9:30! Perfect time for dinner! After coordinating with our weekend entourage we ended up at Mama Mexico. Mama's was a ton of fun but the food was not very good. One exception! The guacamole that they made tableside was amazing!

You have to have a Corona with every Mexican meal!


Matt and I shared two disappointing entrees. First, chicken in mole sauce with refried beans and rice:

Second, chicken tamales with black beans and rice:

Even though the food wasn't as great as I wanted it was a great way to start our weekend in New York! After all of our traveling we were exhausted so we called it a night shortly after dinner.

We had to get up early Saturday morning so we could get our rush tickets to Finian's Rainbow. After procuring our box seat tickets we headed to brunch at the Cupping Room. I was so hungry by the time we all got breakfast that I completely forgot to take pictures until after everything was in my belly! You can tell by the empty plates and bowls that breakfast hit the spot!

First was a large side of perfectly cooked bacon. It was so big that we couldn't finish it between all 8 of us!

Next were the two breakfasts that Matt and I split. Yogurt with granola and berries (my pick) and a ham, green peppers and onion omelette (Matt's pick). Both were delicious and perfect!


The rest of our day was packed with walking and shopping skipping food. There was a Starbuck's stop during the day for a caffeine kick. The Chai tea latte that hit the spot. We also made sure to find the time to stand in line for twenty-minutes in order to pick up Magnolia's cupcakes and banana pudding. Both were intended to be our after late-night snacks.

Before we knew it we were running late for our dinner date! Before running out the door and sometime during the frantic wardrobe change I managed to shove some of the banana pudding into my mouth. I almost forgot to enjoy and savor it's deliciousness! If you've never experience Magnolia's banana pudding make a detour the next time your in NYC. No matter where you are! It's worth it!

For dinner we ended up at the Film Center Cafe. I started with a Stoli vanilla cosmo that was awful. Too much cranberry juice and not enough vodka. I had a chopped salad with chicken, corn, tomatoes, onions, black beans, chihuahua cheese, avocado, tortilla strips with goat cheese buttermilk dressing. Sounds good doesn't it?! I thought so! There were hardly any black beans or vegetables other than lettuce and the pile of tortilla strips had to be removed in order to eat the salad. What you see in the picture is what I left. Thank God for the heavenly banana pudding that I gulped down before dinner!

After dinner we went to Robert Emmet's pub to have a drink and to avoid waiting in line to get into the theatre. Funny thing is that there is an Emmet's pub across the street from our house in Boston. I can tell you that the Smithwicks taste perfect at both pubs!

The rest of the evening was so much fun! We watched our amazingly talented friend in Finian's Rainbow, then went to Kemia for some dancing and finally to Chelsea Grill for our late night snack. After not finishing dinner and burning calories while dancing we decided Magnolia's cupcakes could wait. Matt and I shared a cheesesteak with pepper jack cheese and waffle fries. Although it doesn't look too pretty it was sinfully delicious!

Sunday breakfast at Midnight Express was the perfect way to end our meals in Manhattan. Midnight Express had a brunch special for $13 you got tea or coffee, a bloody mary or a mimosa, a side of fruit and a breakfast entree. Matt and I went all out for our last Manhattan meal. I had a bloody mary, an Earl Grey, fruit and then split (surprise, surprise) the breakfast entrees. The Billy Bob omelette (ham, mozzarella, peppers and onion) and nutella banana pancakes. Both were delicious but probably not the most nutritious?! The best part about the pancakes is that with the yummy natural sugars from the nutella spread and the bananas I didn't need any of the high fructose corn syrup (aka fake maple syrup)! I hate the fake stuff!





We had such a great time in NYC! It was hard to leave our friends but we had to get to JFK for our Jet Blue flight back to Boston. After a nice long train ride we had the speediest trip through security. On the other side of the security walls?! The prettiest, newest terminal I have ever seen in all of my travels! If you ever get the chance fly through JFK on JetBlue! You'll see what I mean!! We had to try one of the cool restaurants for a snack and to catch some football time! We ended up at FiveSteak. The awesome pictures that follow will tell our snack story... and show you the lesson my husband was giving me on how to take cool pictures with my new camera!!



Zinfandel:



Yum!

On my favorite plane ever (E190) we had our JetBlue snack. Water, Diet Coke and a little pack of chocolate chip cookies.



Right after we arrived in Boston we left. Heading north to pick up Bailey from Matt's parents in Ogunquit. On the way we stopped in Portsmouth for dinner at the new Common Man restaurant location. We both started with a bowl of the butternut squash. I am very picky about my butternut squash soup. This was one of the best I have ever had! Perfect for the cold night!


For our entree we split the filet mignon. It was perfectly cooked. Tender and flavorful. It came with sweet potato string on top, garlic mashed potatoes and sauteed brussel sprouts.


Now, if you've been paying attention you may be able to figure out what we had for dessert.... Magnolia's cupcakes! We didn't find a chance to eat them in NYC so they traveled with us, through security, on the plane, and all the way in the car up to Ogunquit! We arrived pretty late so we quickly cute them into quarters and shared them all! There was one red velvet, one chocolate/chocolate, one chocolate/vanilla and one vanilla/vanilla. They were all good but not as good as they would have been if we ate them Saturday night. Mom and dad were happy we waited to share though!


I leave you with a video of the "grander" days of New York city. The days of Frank Sinatra, Gene Kelly and Jules Munchin. They definitely saw more in a day then we did in the whole weekend! Cute and corny. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment