Monday, November 2, 2009

An Oldie but a Goodie

I ended up waking up late so I only had time for a bowl of cereal before I left the house. I had my favorite old standby Kashi Cinnamon Harvest. It's a better healthier version of frosted shredded wheat. I love the little bursts of crunchy cinnamon sugar that you get. Yum!

I was in a hurry to leave the house this morning because I had an almost all day software training for work. After a couple hours of training they let us break for lunch. I grabbed a half of a tuna sandwich and a half of a veggie sandwich. Then I removed the veggies (spinach, roasted peppers, roasted zucchini and roasted eggplant) from one wrap and added it to my tuna sandwich. It was a great way to get rid of some of the carbs from the wrap and get the boost from the veggies. It was pretty good for a cafeteria sandwich. I also had a bag of the baked Lays which I dip into yellow mustard. I love mustard!! It's my favorite condiment!

Betsy brought in pumpkin cupcakes to work today! I was lucky enough to grab one for a snack. It tasted so good and fresh! The picture does not do the cupcake justice. It was delicious!

Tonight I surveyed what I had in the house for dinner. I realized I had a couple of sweet potatoes and chicken. I knew just what to make! I stopped at Whole Foods on the way home and picked up feta cheese and a pint of grape tomatoes. I used to make this dish all the time last year. It was better than I remembered tonight! I served the chicken over brown rice. The feta melted into the rice so that it almost tasted like a risotto! We also had a salad with pears, carrots, pecans and balsamic. It was very satisfying!

Chicken with Baked Tomatoes and Sweet Potatoes
2 sweet potatoes cut into 3/4" chunks
1/2 pint of grape tomatoes cut in half
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
2 Tablespoons water
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon sea salt

Preheat the oven at 400 degrees. Spray an 8x8 pan with nonstick cooking spray. In a small bowl mix together the lemon juice, water, salt, pepper and oregano. Arrange the sweet potatoes and tomatoes in the baking dish and drizzle with half of the lemon mixture. Place the chicken on top of the veggies and drizzle with the remaining lemon mixture. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 35 minutes. Occasionally spooning juices over the chicken and veggies. Uncover and bake for 10 minutes. Crumble feta over the top of the chicken and veggies and bake for 5 minutes longer.

To accompany dinner Matt picked up a bottle of Joseph Carr's 2006 Cabernet Sauvignon. I liked the back of the bottle. It says "Share." I decided to rate the wine too. It's a good bottle of wine but it was a little young. It needed to open up a bit. It's a full body wine with a beautiful garnet color. If you happen to find this bottle you should pick it up. My husband thinks it will be perfect in a year or two.


Last but not least for the night, I had two scoops of Edy's Slow Churned Pumpkin Ice Cream. I have been reading about this ice cream on a couple of the blogs that I follow in the past couple of weeks and NEEDED to try it! It was amazing! It has the perfect balance of flavors, pumpkin, cream, cloves, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg. All with half the fat and only 100 calories per half cup compared to the full fat Edy's!



Have you had a chance to try this ice cream yet?! What do you think?

2 comments:

  1. OMG that poor cupcake looks like its dying! haha.

    I am so jealous you found that ice cream, I have been on the hunt for it!

    ReplyDelete